Saturday, September 29, 2007

DD Plus Eight

“Diaper backward spells repaid. Think about it.” --Marshall McLuhan

NBN yet. We were planning on going to the Texas State Fair with mom and Esther (which opened this weekend) but were busy with other projects... so maybe tomorrow. I was thinking the walking would do me good.

I thought I'd blog about some of my ponderings in the last couple weeks... on diapers, the oh so relevant topic in a new mom's life. I had planned on going with disposable diapers for mini Miller, for ease and all the obvious reasons, plus due to the fact that most of our colleagues in Asia (and the people in the village) use disposables. But other options have danced in my brain and now are coming to the forefront.

Cloth diapers of course are more earth friendly, can be cheaper in the long run, and the new modern breed require no pins or poking (they use plastic adjustable shells with liners). The advantage in the village would be a way to solve the problem of waste (no trash pick ups available) and savings. Disadvantages: no dryer available, possible water shortages, difficulty drying cloth diapers during rainy season when the air is wet and weighty.

The third option which caught me by surprise on the baby rack at Barnes & Nobles is E.C. Elimination Communication. The basic idea is that you train the baby (and the mom in anticipating the need) to sit on the potty from an age as early as 4 months. It's apparently been succesful by moms in Canada and the U.S., and grabbed my eye since it is basically the default for locals in Asia. (The baby in my host home didn't wear diapers at home, instead the caregivers put her in the appropriate places at the appropriate times to dispose of her messes). It of course takes a commitment on the part of the parent, but could definitely do wonders for the laundry problems of cloth nappies! Yes, I know there are skeptics at there for this approach.

Well, those are the three options awaiting us... your vote and input are welcome!

5 comments:

4ddintx said...

Nanda is the EC Queen, so she can give you details about that. She also does cloth dipes. I've done cloth for almost 9 years now...though I use more disposables with each child *sigh*. I use a really simple, no frills (cheap) disposable system. Nanda uses a more modern system. Email me if you want more details. I'm sure Nanda would be a great resource, too! (Hi Nanda!)

Tell Esther that the Spitzers say hi!

Enjoy the Fair tomorrow...if you're not in labor.
Tabitha

4ddintx said...

ETA: I use a no frills cloth diaper system. Bedtime for me!
Tabitha

Anonymous said...

Hey, Rach. In Haiti, they do the hold the kid over the dirt outside the yard and they have little potties for 1+ they sit them on. It would work sometimes. Can't wait to be an aunt! :)

Anonymous said...

I was just gonna leave a comment that I do EC with both my girls, and just so you know, you can do EC part time. Sometimes the EC literature can give you the impression that it has to be all or nothing. It doesn't.

Call me if you want to know more. Hopefully you're too busy having the baby now :-)

On cloth dipes I use both pocket dipes and prefolds (like Tabitha). There are a lot of options out there, and you might even find others on the internet who've dealt with trying to line dry dipes in a humid climate.

Good night.

beth said...

Have you heard about diaper grants? Someone here in Indo has done it - lots of great free cloth diapering systems for people like you. Definitely worth looking into!

http://www.cottonbabies.com/index.php?cPath=58

Praying for you as you eagerly await the arrival of your little one!

beth